Become a member and help us with: Empowering Voters. Defending democracy.
Anyone age 16 and over is eligible to join the League. We encourage men, as well as women, to become members. The LWV is a grassroots organization. We work on local, state and national elections and government policies. Members may fully participate in League activities and help decide on League priorities. Some meetings and activities are open only to members and invited guests.
- a monthly newsletter
- comprehensive voting information before every election
- invitations to meetings with leaders in the Portland community
- the chance to join a “Discussion Unit” (small discussion groups of members who discuss current issues and influence LWV policies and priorities). Read more about these Discussion Unit groups here.
- opportunities to study issues in depth as part of an official LWV Interest Group or a formal LWV Study. Read about LWV Studies here.
- the chance to be part of a League-sponsored Interest Group to learn about a particular issue. Currently there are threes LWVPDX Interest Groups. They focus on Housing issues, Justice and Police Accountability, and Public School Education.
- mentoring to sharpen our skills for learning, communicating, and advocating about public policies in our communities, state and nation.
Membership Dues- 2021-22
You can join the League by mail or online with PayPal or a credit card. Please see the specific instructions below. We are committed finding ways for all individuals who want to become members to join us. If you are concerned that you may not be able to join us for any reason, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will do whatever we can to help you engage in our efforts to create a more perfect democracy.
For the 2021-22 fiscal year, beginning July 1, 2021, LWV of Portland membership dues are $80/person, but just $120 for a two-person household. Subsidized memberships are $45 for those who cannot afford $80. All high school, college or university student memberships are $5.
Each year in July, current members receive a reminder about renewing their memberships. However, new members who join after February 1 have paid their dues through June of the following year.
Half of all membership dues are tax-deductible. That is, for 2021-22, $40 of each individual’s dues and $60 of each two-person household’s dues will be deposited in the Education Fund and will be tax-deductible if you itemize charitable contributions.
There are two options for paying membership dues, by mail or through PayPal with a PayPal account or credit card. You can avoid the PayPal fee by mailing a check in with your membership form.
To join by mail as a new member or renew your membership by mail, please print and fill out our print Membership and Volunteer Form 2020-21 and mail it with your check to: LWV of Portland, P.O. Box 3491, Portland OR 97208-3491
When you join online via PayPal or credit card, please fill out the online Member Information and Interest Form too. (Note: the amount shown by PayPal includes a ~3% fee that is added by PayPal.) To pay online, select the membership type and then click the Pay Now button below.
To give a friend or family member a gift membership, please click Gift Memberships in LWV Portland. Some gift memberships may be available to members who cannot otherwise afford to join.