The LWV of Portland presents free civic education programs (often panel discussions) for members and the public. We usually schedule these in the evenings in the months of September, October, November, February, March and April. These programs cover current public policy issues and are usually held from 7 to 8:30 pm in the Multnomah County Board Room at 501 SE Hawthorne Boulevard in Portland. For local and state elections, the program may be a candidate or ballot measure forum. Recordings of election forums are posted under the election date in the Vote menu for this website. After mid-March 2020, in-person events were changed to online Zoom events because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
MetroEast Community Media produces videos of all the Portland League’s public events. You can view the recorded videos from the League of Women Voters of Portland YouTube channel. Click here to see them.
You can find notices of upcoming events in the sidebar to the right of each page on this website. Descriptions of each event are often posted on the homepage of this website a few weeks before the event.
- September 2020, the Future of Health Care in America and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. The LWV of Portland, with the assistance of MetroEast Community Media, recorded a Zoom panel discussion with health experts. You can view that recording here.
- September & October 2020, 2020 General Election Videos of Voter Forums and 2020 Video Voters’ Guide.
- November 2020, Election Debrief: Now What?, with expert political analysts speaking about the election’s impacts on our city, state and nation. The recording is available for viewing here.
Check back to this page soon for more details about these and other events.
- September 16, 2019 – Innovations in Public Education, on Monday, September 16, 7 to 8:30 pm, Multnomah County Boardroom, 501 SE Hawthorne. View the video recording here.
- The 20-minute video of the highlights from the discussion of Education Innovations is here.
- October 21, 2019 (Monday) – Election Forum on local ballot measures in the November 5 Special Election, 6:30-8:30 pm, Multnomah County Boardroom, 501 SE Hawthorne. View the recordings under November 5 Special Election here.
- November 12, 2019 – Portland’s City Government – Results of the study by the League of Women Voters of Portland on criteria for effective governments and whether the structure of our current city government is serving us effectively. 7:00-8:30 pm, Multnomah County Boardroom, 501 SE Hawthorne. You can view the video recording here.
- March 10, 2020, Privacy and Cybersecurity Today, panel discussion with presentations by LWV of Oregon President Becky Gladstone with an overview of the LWVOR study, Director of Multnomah County Elections Tim Scott on election security, and Lane Powell attorney Emily Maass on corporate and personal security, 7:00-8:30 pm, Multnomah County Boardroom, 501 SE Hawthorne. Click here to view the video of this event.
- Our plans for April 7, April 23 and April 28, 2020 Primary Election Forums were cancelled due to the coronavirus restrictions on public gatherings. Instead, the League interviewed dozens of Primary Election candidates via Zoom. With the help of our media partner, MetroEast, we created a Video Voters’ Guide.
The theme for 2018-19 was Justice. Links to the videos of these programs are below.
- September 11, 2018 – View the recording of Juvenile Justice: Are we improving outcomes for youth?
- October 2 and October 9, 2018 – Election Forums (See recordings here.)
- November 13, 2018 – Immigration: Welcomes, Walls, Sanctuaries, and Borders
- February 12, 2019 – Working Women’s Rights: Fairness, Equality, Safety
- March 12, 2019 – The Climate Justice event planned for this date was cancelled, because the speakers were not available.
- (Thursday) April 11, 2019 – Election Forum on School Board candidates. See the recording here. Listen to the candidates’ statements and answers from 8:47 to 57:40 and from 59:58 to 1:38:07.
highlights video excerpts from 2017-2020 programs
The theme for Civic Education in 2016-17 and in 2017-18 was Resources for Making Democracy Work. The free programs were recorded by MetroEast Community Media and are available for online viewing on the LWV of Portland YouTube channel.
Click below for full-length recordings of the 2017-18 panel discussions:
September 12, 2017, Back to the Future: Revisiting Oregon’s Budget (how Oregon will thrive in the current fiscal environment)
October 10, 2017, Make your Voice Heard in the Legislature; How to effectively communicate with legislators.
November 14, 2017, Promoting Civil Discourse
December 5, 2017, Winter Party (members and guests)
January 16, 2018, Media Luncheon: Portland’s Pressing Problems (members and guests)
February 13, 2018, Voices of Homelessness
March 13, 2018, Reducing Portland’s Carbon Footprint
April 10 and 24, 2018, Primary Election Forums with local candidates
May 2018, Local Membership Convention
The topics for the recorded programs in 2016-17 were: