The LWV of Portland presents free civic education programs (often panel discussions) for members and the public. We usually schedule these in the evenings in the months of September, October, November, February, March and April. These programs cover current public policy issues and are usually held from 7 to 8:30 pm in the Multnomah County Board Room at 501 SE Hawthorne Boulevard in Portland. For local and state elections, the program may be a candidate or ballot measure forum. Recordings of election forums are posted under the Vote menu for this website.
You can also find notices of upcoming events in the sidebar to the right of each page on this website. Descriptions of each event are posted on the homepage of this website a few weeks before the event.
- September 16, 2019 – Innovations in Public Education, on Monday, September 16, 7 to 8:30 pm, Multnomah County Boardroom, 501 SE Hawthorne.
- October, 2019 – Election Forum on local ballot measures in the November 5 Special Election.
- November 12, 2019 – Portland’s City Government – Results of the study by the League of Women Voters of Portland on criteria for effective governments and whether the structure of our current city government is serving us effectively.
Check back to this page soon for our winter and spring 2020 event schedule.
The theme for 2018-19 was Justice. Links to the videos of these programs are below.
- September 11, 2018 – View the recording of Juvenile Justice: Are we improving outcomes for youth?
- October 2 and October 9, 2018 – Election Forums (See recordings here.)
- November 13, 2018 – Immigration: Welcomes, Walls, Sanctuaries, and Borders
- February 12, 2019 – Working Women’s Rights: Fairness, Equality, Safety
- March 12, 2019 – The Climate Justice event planned for this date was cancelled, because the speakers were not available.
- (Thursday) April 11, 2019 – Election Forum on School Board candidates. See the recording here. Listen to the candidates’ statements and answers from 8:47 to 57:40 and from 59:58 to 1:38:07.
2016, 2017 and Spring 2018 programs
The theme for Civic Education in 2016-17 and in 2017-18 was Resources for Making Democracy Work. The free programs were recorded by MetroEast Community Media and are available for online viewing on the LWV of Portland YouTube channel.
Click below for full-length recordings of the 2017-18 panel discussions:
September 12, 2017, Back to the Future: Revisiting Oregon’s Budget (how Oregon will thrive in the current fiscal environment)
October 10, 2017, Make your Voice Heard in the Legislature; How to effectively communicate with legislators.
November 14, 2017, Promoting Civil Discourse
December 5, 2017, Winter Party (members and guests)
January 16, 2018, Media Luncheon: Portland’s Pressing Problems (members and guests)
February 13, 2018, Voices of Homelessness
March 13, 2018, Reducing Portland’s Carbon Footprint
April 10 and 24, 2018, Primary Election Forums with local candidates
May 2018, Local Membership Convention
The topics for the recorded programs in 2016-17 were: