The LWV of Portland presents free civic education programs (often panel discussions) for members and the public, on the second Tuesday evenings of September, October, November, February, March and April. These programs cover current public policy issues and are usually held from 7 to 9 pm in the Multnomah County Board Room at 501 SE Hawthorne Boulevard in Portland. For important elections, the second Tuesday program may be a candidate or ballot measure forum. Recordings of election forums are posted under the Vote menu for this website.
2018-19 Second Tuesday programs
The theme for 2018-19 is Justice. View the videos after a program has occurred; see what’s planned in the months ahead.
- September 11, 2018 – View the recording of Juvenile Justice: Are we improving outcomes for youth?
- October 2 and October 9, 2018 – Election Forums (See recordings here.)
- November 13, 2018 – Immigration: Welcomes, Walls, Sanctuaries, and Borders
- February 12, 2019 – Women and Justice: How is the landscape for women’s rights changing?
- March 12, 2019 – NOTE: The Climate Justice event planned for this date has been cancelled. An April event has been added.
- April 9, 2019 – Portland’s City Government – Results of the study by the League of Women Voters of Portland on criteria for effective governments and whether the structure of our current city government is serving us effectively.
2016, 2017 and Spring 2018 programs
The theme for Civic Education in 2016-17 and in 2017-18 was Resources for Making Democracy Work. The free programs were recorded by MetroEast Community Media and are available for online viewing on the LWV of Portland YouTube channel.
(In December, January and May, special programs are open to members and their guests.)
Click below for full-length recordings of the 2017-18 panel discussions:
September 12, 2017, Back to the Future: Revisiting Oregon’s Budget (how Oregon will thrive in the current fiscal environment)
October 10, 2017, Make your Voice Heard in the Legislature; How to effectively communicate with legislators.
November 14, 2017, Promoting Civil Discourse
December 5, 2017, Winter Party (members and guests)
January 16, 2018, Media Luncheon: Portland’s Pressing Problems (members and guests)
February 13, 2018, Voices of Homelessness
March 13, 2018, Reducing Portland’s Carbon Footprint
April 10 and 24, 2018, Primary Election Forums with local candidates
May 2018, Local Membership Convention
The topics for the recorded programs in 2016-17 were: