Forty-eight League members attended the 2020 Program Planning Party on January 11, 2020.
What is “program Planning”?
Every January, League members do “program planning” for the following year. “Program” is the League term for issues that members have chosen for study and action, as well as for education events. Program planning involves reviewing the League’s advocacy positions to consider:
- whether they need to be restudied or updated,
- how we could use them to influence public policies on current issues and
- whether we should examine the issues with an interest group or with a public panel discussion.
The Planning Process
In 2020, Portland League members are reviewing the advocacy positions of the LWVUS and LWVPDX. We began with a membership “party” on January 11. Grouped at tables, members discussed some positions in depth. The chosen positions apply to current issues in the news.
There were six tables. Click on the links below to read the positions that apply to each table’s topic.
- Public Involvement in Government Decisions: LWVUS “Citizen’s Right to Know /Public Participation” Position and LWVPDX “Planning” and “Neighborhood Associations” positions
- International Trade and Our Economy: LWVUS “Trade” position and LWVPDX “Economic Development” and “Port of Portland” positions
- Climate Change and Protecting Our Environment: LWVUS “Climate Change” and “Energy” positions and LWVPDX “Metropolitan Transportation” and “Solid Waste” positions
- Equity in Education, Affordable Housing and Combatting Homelessness: LWVUS “Equality of Opportunity” and “Meeting Basic Human Needs” positions and LWVPDX positions on “Education” and “Housing”
- Immigrant Rights and Justice: LWVUS Immigration position and LWVPDX positions on Portland Police Bureau and Juvenile Justice
- Rights and Protection for Girls: LWVUS positions on “Reproductive Choice,” “Health Care” and “Human Trafficking” and LWVPDX “Teenage Girls at Risk” position
In addition to considering position updates and advocacy, members proposed educational events and interest groups that might be organized on each topic. Click here to read their proposals.
After the Program Planning Party, our member Unit groups discuss all the tables’ recommendations to Unit leaders for continued discussion. Click here for the schedule of January Unit meetings! The Units review and comment on all the LWVUS and LWVPDX positions. Their comments then will be forwarded to the LWVUS and the LWV of Portland Boards.
Read the positions here or click on the links below.
Summary of the LWVUS positions from Impact on Issues
LWVPDX positions (including the new City Government position approved by the Board on January 6, 2020. )