THE FIRST PART OF THE PROCESS -JANUARY 2021
The program planning process for 2021-2022 began in January 2021 with member discussions. In previous years, members met in person. In 2021, we met via Zoom.
Each discussion group discussed a cluster of issues. In addition, each group reviewed the League’s current advocacy positions that apply to these issues. They considered these questions:
- Which of these issues should be a focus for League activities in the next few years?
- Are the positions still adequate?
- Do they need to be updated?
- Do we need a new in-depth study of one or more of the issues?
- Should we advocate on these issues, offer civic education programs, or create an interest group to learn more about what’s needed?
An article about the discussion groups was in the LWVPDX December 2020 eVoter newsletter and reminders were sent in January. They included the following list of topics and schedule.
2021 Topics & Meeting Times
Note: Members could participate in as many discussion meetings as they wanted. (Dates are in 2021.)
- Adult & Juvenile Justice, Police Accountability, Gun Safety: Discussion Group 1: Wednesday, Jan. 20, at 7pm. To view the list of relevant LWV positions for Group 1, click here.
- Clean Air/Water, Superfund Sites, Environmental Issues, Climate Change: Discussion Group 2: Monday, Jan. 25, at 10am. To view the list of relevant LWV positions for Group 2, click here.
- Neighborhood Associations, Racial Justice, Diversity/Equity/Inclusion: Discussion Group 3: Monday, Jan. 25, at 7pm. Click here to view the list of relevant LWV positions for Group 3, click here.
- Homelessness & Affordable Housing: Discussion Group 4: Thursday, Jan. 21, at 1pm. To view the list of relevant LWV positions for Group 4, click here.
- Forest Management, Land Use, Urban Growth, Transportation: Discussion Group 5: Saturday, Jan. 16, at 10am. To view the list of relevant LWV positions for Group 5, click here.
- City/Metro/State Governance, Economic Development, Taxes: Discussion Group 6: Tuesday, Jan. 26, at 9:30am. To view the list of relevant LWV positions for Group 6, click here.
- Children’s Issues, Teens at Risk, Childcare, Education Funding, Universal Pre-K: Discussion Group 7: Monday, Jan. 25, at 1pm. To view the list of relevant LWV positions for Group 7, click here.
You can read the LWVPDX studies that led to the Portland LWV positions here. The archive of past LWVOR studies is here. You can find links to the national LWVUS studies, plus some studies done by other local and state Leagues here.
Definitions for Program Planning
The LWV has special definitions for some of the words we use in program planning. Here are the definitions for what we are mean when we say, “program,” “position,” “action,” “Interest Group,” “study,” “consensus,” and “concurrence.”
WHAT HAPPENED NEXT?
Discussion leaders sent their groups’ recommendations to the LWVPDX Board. Recommendations for Oregon studies and positions were forwarded to the LWV of Oregon Board. Below you can see a flowchart showing the whole month-by-month process. The process concluded at the LWV conventions in May. At that time, the membership voted on whether to approve the final proposed studies and position recommendations.