The League of Women Voters of the U.S. published this essay on reasons to trust vote by mail. It was written by the co-president of the LWV of Johnson County, Kansas. Below are summaries of her five reasons. Click here to read the whole article.
- Americans have voted by mail since the Civil War! (And all Oregon elections have been by mail since 1999.)
- It is difficult for someone to vote another person’s ballot. Every signature is checked to make sure it matches the signature of a registered voter.
- The mailing, delivery, processing and counting of mail-in ballots are protected by security measures.
- Vote-by-mail does not favor any party over another. Research has shown that making voting easier helps all voters.
- Research shows that voter fraud is very rare.
Watch our video showing all the ways we protect mail-in voting in Oregon.