The League’s top priorities are good government and fair elections! Measure 26-228 on Charter Reform will promote BOTH better government and fairer elections for Portland.
The League of Women Voters of Portland is one of 50 civic organizations that supported the Charter Reform ballot measure. In-depth two-year studies by the Portland League, the LWV of Oregon, and Leagues in other states persuaded us that the proposed changes will substantially improve Portland’s government structure and the way we elect our city officials.
TOP-TEN REASONS For Supporting Charter Reform (Click here to learn more about each one)
- The reforms create a separation of powers. The powers of the Councilors and Mayor are balanced.
- Portland’s City Council will be more effective, responsive and representative.
- Management by a professional City Administrator, supervised by the Mayor, will improve operations of city services and bureaus.
- Voters will have more choices and more power to elect government officials who represent them.
- Ranked Choice Voting is an easy, proven way to vote. It’s used in other countries and increasingly in the U.S.
- By electing three city councilors from four geographic districts, we can have both geographic and proportional representation.
- An Independent District Commission will draw district boundaries.
- An Independent Salary Commission will set salaries for elected officials.
- The benefits more than justify the costs.
- These proposals were developed by a diligent, transparent Charter Review Commission.
See through the “confusion”smokescreen. Click here for the real story.
Read our explanation about How Ranked Choice Voting Works.
LWVPDX is in good company. Click here to learn about other Measure 26-228 supporters