As we all know, gun violence has reached a crisis point in our state and in the nation. You can help make Oregon a safer place for children, racial minorities – and all of us. You can sign and help gather signatures for Initiative Petition 17, a statewide gun safety initiative sponsored by Lift Every Voice Oregon (LEVO) and endorsed by the League of Women Voters of Oregon.
The initiative is now in the signature-gathering phase with the goal of placing it on the November ballot. The campaign is relying heavily on volunteer support, and we are asking our members and friends for their help before the July 6 deadline.
ACTION REQUESTED: Please go to www.lifteveryvoiceoregon.com.
- If you’d like to download and sign a one-signature petition sheet, please click “Sign Initiative Petition from Home.” After signing, you must also complete the circulator information at the bottom before mailing to the address provided.
- If you’re willing to gather multiple signatures, click “Train to Gather Signatures” and follow the instructions provided.
- Please get the word out to friends and family members about IP 17 and how they can be part of the solution to prevent gun violence.
Here’s a brief summary of the initiative:
- Requires a permit-to-purchase for all firearm purchases, which includes classroom and live-fire safety training. This is the gold standard for gun safety regulations and has a proven track record of reducing gun violence where enacted.
- Requires a background check before purchasing a firearm, and no sale is complete before the check is completed.
- Includes an improved database system to assist the tracking of guns that are lost, stolen, or used to commit crimes.
- Prohibits the manufacture, sale, transfer, and possession of magazines over 10 rounds, with exceptions for law enforcement and military. Nine states and D.C. have already enacted such bans.